The Royal Stables at Christiansborg Palace
The Royal Stables are located at Christiansborg Palace on the island of Slotsholmen in central Copenhagen. In 1789 the number of horses reached a peak with 270 horses stabled. Today, there are about 20 horses in the Royal Stables.
Shortly after his accession to the throne in 1730, King Christian VI had the old and outdated Copenhagen Castle torn down to make way for a new Baroque palace: the first Christiansborg Palace. The old stable complex behind Copenhagen Castle was also torn down to make way for a new and larger stable complex.
The new and still existing stable complex was constructed from 1738 to 1745. The complex included an outdoor riding ground surrounded by buildings containing an indoor riding school as well as stables with room for a total of 87 riding horses and 165 carriage horses. Part of these stable buildings still remain unchanged since their inauguration in 1746 with an extravagant decoration of marble pillars.
A lively museum
The museum has three departments: The Harness Room with old uniforms of the Royal Stables and the splendidly decorated eight-horse harness with a wealth of lovely details - the actual Stables with the Royal Family's carriage and saddle horses, and finally the Coach Hall with old well-preserved state coaches and carriages.
The Royal Stables are regularly open to the public but during holiday period, the horses are turned to grass.